Friday, April 6, 2012

this piggy went to market

wednesdays are market days in La Linea, the Spanish town just right next to the border from Gib.  markets are an intrinsic part of Spanish life, giving local communities with a cornucopia of products ranging from herbs and spices to leather shoes and bags, curtain fabrics to fresh fruit and vegetables.

i love going to markets!  it is a feast for the eyes and a fantastic opportunity for  me to check out what the locals are buying as well as buying locally-produced goods and produce.  it is also a way for me to practice my dodgy spanish! 

its always fun to visit the market with a friend so you can have a laugh or two or share your opinions about what is on sale.  i went with my good friend Lyra and we spent 3 whole hours combing stall after stall of beautiful artisan goods. 
 pretty ribbons of all colors for your hair
 these colorful fruit-and-berry-inspired dolls are ridiculously adorable :)
pom-pom ribbons in every color imaginable!  for all your sewing needs :)
 knitted tops for spring and summer 
 scarves, scarves and more scarves!  i bought one here for my sister for €2.
just look at these cute baby shoes strung up in a laundry line :)
leopard leggings anyone?
bikini season is just a few months away!
i also bought my favorite almond-stuffed olives for a song :)
can't wait for next week!  i am looking out for laurel leaves and figs and peaches and of course, by any chance, my favorite guayabas :)


4 comments:

  1. This looks like my kind of day, market shopping with an amazing view! I'd go crazy over the scarves and the food!!! Those olives - YUM!

    ReplyDelete