Friday, September 23, 2011

my summer of berry delights

i discovered the delights of berries this summer! you see, being a tropical babe, i have never come across berries back home except in pastries. in my first year living here, i missed my guavas, marangs, durians, papayas, guayabanos that i used to gorge on back home. i saw and bought some "guayabas" (as they are called here) at the local Wednesday market and wrote about them in an earlier post. but that was just a once-in-a-blue-moon affair. i never saw them again! going to the grocery stores however, i saw berries in abundance during the height of summer. i decided to try them out. surprisingly, i found some of them delicious and very refreshing! i sometimes eat them as a snack!
one of my favorites are raspberries. they are soft and sweet but sometimes a bit tangy. sometimes too, i eat them with a bit of condensed milk (cream is too rich for me)
another favorite of mine are blackberries. they are juicy and tasty too! but i must admit they're just not that memorable for me
these red currants have a sharp, tart taste that assaulted my mouth the first time i popped one. as i ate some more though, i eventually got used to the taste. not really a big fan of red currants so i dont think i'd be buying them in the future
mmmmm easily my no. 1 favorite! eating blueberries was a surprise to me! they are lovely with a cool, minty taste. they are highly addictive too IMHO :)
strawberries are a staple the whole year but this summer they were especially sweet and juicy. i bought a whole box of them and they were sooooo nice to eat when the weather is hot. i am now officially a fan of these summer berries and not only do they supply me my essential Vitamins B and C but also of anti-oxidants and fibre that keep my body running A-okay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment