Saturday, June 15, 2013

flea market finds: ghosts and green monsters

the days have been getting more beautiful each day here in Gibraltar.  clear blue skies and cool, breezy days.  perfect for a carboot sale!  of course i wouldn't want to let this opportunity pass.  remember, they are so few and far between here in Gib! 
people have caught on! over the years  i've observed that there are more and more people checking out the goods!
so before i and the mister took off for a little getaway, we just had to stop by and shoot a few pics and browse a few stalls :) 
against the backdrop of the imposing Ibrahim-al-Ibrahim mosque in Europa Point, the only mosque here in Gibraltar which also contains a school, a library and a lecture hall and was a gift by the King of Saudi Arabia in 1995
i only bought a few items as i think i enjoy the rush of seeing different and unique things more than my impulse buying (although, i recently sold one of my flea market finds for a good sum!).

here are my finds!

(1) two chinese jade-colored candle with a weird mama creature snuggling with two of her weird babies (i am guessing this is part of a chinese zodiac candle collection)
 (2) i was intrigued more of the title than what it really is.  after doing a little research, i found out that the author had been a commentator and a staunch critic of the Marcoses during the late 70's.  definitely now in my to-read list :)
so yeah those two are just what i bought but i had fun browsing and taking pictures of the things i wanna take home with me :)
from left to right: Gibraltar crystal hand-blown vase, lime green Moroccan sandals, a handmade doorstop (more for a finca i think!), a glittery top (boogie nights!) and the most delicate cups and saucers i ever did see!

from left to right: a cute smiling voodoo doll(?) or maybe a charred gingerbread man?  he's dapper though!, a wooden bowl, a repurposed crane, an old camera and a couple of jazz aficionados
ahhh, one sweet day! 

i end this post with a pic of this elderly lady, with prams and suitcases brimming with goods, as she waits for the bus heading home happy and contented.  she probably can't wait to show off her finds too! 

4 comments:

  1. Like you I love a good old rummage but often come away without buying anything.I guess I am probably nosy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just love the atmosphere anne :) am sure u know what am talking about :)

      Delete
  2. I love to buy! Haha! I would have probably picked up those tea cups even though I don't use the ones I have. I always drink from a mug!!

    ReplyDelete