Monday, January 23, 2012

let the sewing begin!

i found this classic black H&M wrap dress in one of my favorite thrift shops for a pound. i love its simple details, like the ribbon belt and the ribbons at the back of the sleeves. most of all, i love its timeless and elegant cut except for one small thing; its too long for me. for hourglass figures in a petite frame like mine, alas, there are fashion challenges that i must face and hope to conquer to avoid looking like a gnome in mourning.
my golden rule in dresses is; (1) it has to be either knee-length or above it. anything lower than my knee would make me look shorter than i already am.
since i haven't been wearing dresses lately, i decided i am going to convert it into a nice top. first, i wore the dress and asked the mister if he'd be so kind to mark the line that i want the length to be (he's so handy!)
then i proceeded to cut along that mark and hemmed it using pins. next, i ironed it so the edges would stay put, took out the pins and let the sewing begin!
here's my "new" top (as the mister would like to call it) as the result of my first sewing adventure (nevermind that it was just cutting and hemming) accessorised with my silver bib necklace :) its my current favorite!

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh...I was just studying your photograph and realized you could make a great eternity scarf from the bottom half of the dress if it is jersey like it looks to me. Cut across the bottom, turn one side, sew together. When you stretch the fabric the raw side rolls a bit. Loop it for a great scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jeanne! oohhhh that is a great idea! love it! i believe i will get to it now :) will keep u posted :)

      Delete