Monday, October 15, 2012

turning Japanese

there is no Japanese restaurant here in Gib :( 

the mister and i love sushi and sometimes we just spend our free days searching online for the ultimate authentic rice rolls suitably located nearest Gib… which means in Spain.  our quest led us to Tengoku in Pueblo Nuevo de Guadiaro (a sleepy town about 20mins outside of Gib) so we spontaneously decided one night to go and check it out.

first up is the classic and simple but most commonly-eaten maguro or tuna sushi which we gobbled up quicker than the chef could say “kanpai!”.
IMG_0557
and then the mister wanted to try the chicken yakisoba (upper left hand corner), a noodle dish, while i ordered the Moto-Roll-Ah (center), a trademark signature fancy sushi roll with crispy, deep-fried tuna topped with avocado, tobiko and kabayaki sauce.  absolutely amazing!
IMG_0559
to come down from our sushi high, we ordered the sake (salmon) sushi with avocado  :D  in every sushi we ordered, we loved the pickled ginger (gari or shoga) or the small red radish and the small glob of wasabi  accompanying each dish :)  the wasabi (works great with soy sauce but use with caution) is for dipping while the others are used to cleanse the palate between bites.
IMG_0570
oh, man!  it was refreshing to finally eat something i’ve been craving for a long time.  we were stuffed!  i washed it all down with ice cold green tea :D  sadly, we didn’t have room left for the green tea ice cream nor the tempura ice cream.  i would have loved to try those :)  but there’s always a next time ;)
IMG_0562
a confession though: i do not know how to work the chopsticks :/ but the very nice waitress made a simple contraption for me :)  loved it!  and loved the fact that the chef and the crew were all Filipinos!  needless to say, we got the best service that night :)

mental note: order the gyoza (spicy dumplings) next time too!

OISHI! (delicious!)

14 comments:

  1. So.... when are you moving to Pueblo Nuevo de Guadiaro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. annie, as soon as possible hehe but there are others i want to try out around the are so until then we will see :)

      Delete
  2. wow - I love Japanese food and this looks gorgous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you don't have a Japanese restaurant. There are so many around here, you couldn't possibly visit them all. Oh, how I love sushi. :)

    My kids get the same chopstick contraption. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes jo, its a sad thing :( hehehe the contraption works!

      Delete
  4. Sushi is SO PRETTY! Sadly, I'm extremely allergic to both seaweed and seafood, so I have to steer clear, but when I see pretty photos I always wish I could try it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi heather! sushi is very flexible, you can eliminate the seaweed and seafood altogether and roll the rice with your favorite veggies or other ingredients :) try it!

      Delete
  5. I want to confess I have never tried sushi! It always looks really nice but the thought of eating raw fish just makes my stomach churn! I am forever being told how lovely and tasty it is but I'm not brave enough to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe anne, its not actually all raw fish. you can opt for a vegetarian version :D try it!

      Delete
  6. So glad you found what you were looking for. I'm sure it makes a craving worse when you can't get it!! Tempura ice cream sounds decadent. I will have to search for that myself. I'm hoping there is more sushi for you in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know! im gonna try it next time... cos ohyes there is certainly gonna be a next time :D thank youuuu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look how beautifully the meal is presented!!

    I like sushi but I'm not adventurous and perhaps the sushi in Chinese restaurants is different? I eat the kind with avocado and salmon. Have you seen Jiro Who Dreams of Sushi? Since then I've found Sushi like he makes it, without the seaweed. (but I like the seaweed) I've never tried Tempura ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jeanne! yes, i saw and love the film Jiro Dreams of Sushi :) he is one of Japan's national treasures :) the sushi he makes is the real one, simple and unassuming but only a real connoisseur can know and taste the subtleties in each one of his creations :) can't wait to try the tempura ice cream myself :)

      Delete