Wednesday, February 8, 2012

wannabe foodie

"A gourmet who counts calories is like a whore who looks at her watch."
James Beard

came across this quote and laughed so hard i had to stuff a churro in my mouth just to stop myself. i actually know of some people who are annoyingly fussy with their food that more often than not, they spoil the whole atmosphere at the dinner table!

i am caught in the great divide on this one, though. i am in no way a "food whore" nor am i a "food virgin". i do love food but at the same time if i don't watch what i eat now, it would be not taking good care of myself. another thing that is important for me is the company. if i love the people around me and feel cosy in their company and not at all bothered by the out-of-place lettuce in my salad nor the misaligned fork beside my plate, then i think the food becomes divine, the time spent becomes magical and you never want the meal to end.

i do have a golden rule when it comes to food: moderation. i can eat anything as long as it is not in excessive amounts. seems to work for me. i am happy with that.

a few days ago, a friend of mine gave me a Filipino treat that i have been craving for a long time. it reminds me of my grandma who used to make it whenever we visit her in the farm.
this is "budbud". "budbud" is sticky rice cake wrapped in fragrant banana leaves. it has simple ingredients (glutinous rice, salt, sugar, coconut milk) but it requires an "expert" budbud-maker to make it. it is eaten at breakfast or as a snack through-out the day. usually, it is divine when paired with "sikwate", a home-made hot chocolate made with dried cacao seeds.
it is eaten warm and if you choose, you could dip it in sugar. naturally, i savored mine slowly and sipped my hot chocolate lazily while thinking about my beautiful grandma :)
another breakfast favorite of mine are "papitas", another variation of the Spanish churros. whenever the mister is on his way home from night shift, he picks up a bundle of papitas for me. i prefer the "papitas" more than the churros because they have a bit of crunch in them. when you dip them in chocolate, they are hard to resist.
the mister made some simple meat pies recently and they are sooooo good that in between the two of us, there has to be food policing involved somewhere :)
excuse my pic but because i sooo wanna bite into one that i didn't care if the pic was blurry or not :)

here's to living life to the fullest flavor! here's to eating what you like with people you like!

2 comments:

  1. Omgosh - everything here looks AMAZING!

    I have issues with moderation tending to be the kind of person that thinks excess is not enough when something is good :/. Trying to get my discipline back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks wendy! i know what you mean! i had a hard time resisting at first but i have to do it because of medical issues :( good luck with your discipline though!

      Delete