Tuesday, May 22, 2012

flea market finds: good things come in small packages

that saying has never been more true than today when all of my finds from last week are all cute and diminutive complete with a colorful personality that packs a wallop:)

first up is this cobalt blue alarm clock with a snooze button, huge digital numbers and the softest blue light imaginable.  a little help for the mister especially on monday mornings :)
(bought for £1)
this Matryoshka doll (aka Russian nest-ing/ed doll) is a fine example of Russian folk art that was originally inspired by the Japanese Kokeshi doll.  i love their vibrant colors! 
(bought for .50p)
my next find are two handpainted ceramicware bowls and a mug with a whimsical chicken design from M&S.  i just love the colorful polka dots on the edges :)
(bought for £1 each)
and for my garden, i found this tealight lamp with a blue and turquoise mosaic design.  perfect for barbecues!
(bought for £1)
 following my garden theme,  i found two beautiful handmade butterflies who will never ever leave my garden :)
(bought for .10p)

(bought for .10p)
and lastly,  i conclude this post with a blessing from the Laughing Buddha who is said to be the deity of happiness, contentment, good luck and abundance!  (rub his tummy and we will see!)
(bought for .10p)
about 3 inches in length, he is actually a refrigerator magnet.  the words underneath written in chinese characters mean ... eerr.. let me get back to you on that one!  

thank you God for the giggles!

*linking to ThriftShare Monday @Apron Thrift Girl and Flea Market Finds @Her Library Adventures :)

8 comments:

  1. I love the laughing buddah, they make me happy! ooh and the Russian dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u are spot on clare! i am in love with him too :) the Russian dolls are sooo cute no?

      Delete
  2. I love the Matryoshka dolls you found! They are so cute and colourful, and what a bargain! They are really expensive in the shops over here. Hehe I like the little laughing Buddha too, I'm sure the chinese characters mean something good, not something naughty! :)
    xoxo Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i never realized that they are expensive... but then again ive never bought one nor asked how much they are here (ill make a mental note to look out for them in the shops) ive asked my friend to translate the words but she hasnt got back to me yet :)

      Delete
  3. I love all of them but especially the Russian nesting doll and the laughing buddha! (I collect buddha's). I have a giant nesting doll that my parents brought back from Russia - one of my treasures! I'm always looking for more while thrifting but never have any luck. Enjoy all of your beautiful finds! (I like how you said the butterflies wont leave your garden). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! a giant nesting doll??!! thats amazing wendy! you should write a post about your treasured possessions!

      Delete
  4. Hi Just catching up with my blog reading after our week away and this week which has been so busy! I am very envious of the blue garden light and I too have decorative butterflies in our garden.They are so pretty arent they? I am hoping to attract the real sort too, I have just planted a buddleia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome back anne! i love your garden and i dont think youll have a problem attracting the real butterflies ;) oohhhhh i love buddleias! soo vibrant color!

      Delete